[ARTIST SPOTLIGHT] SNR
1. Describe your experience playing at EDC Vegas this year.
SNR: Playing at EDC was one of the most memorable gigs for me so far in my music career. It’s quite an honor to be a part of the Insomniac family, and one of my favorite parts about their festivals is the huge sense of community. My experience performing was pretty surreal. I wasn’t as nervous as I thought I’d be, and it was great to see a lot of familiar faces from TranceFamilySF!
2. Favorite EDM subgenre?
SNR: I haven’t tried producing this genre yet, but I’ve been really into Chill Trap lately.
3. Who are you currently listening to and who are/were your influences?
SNR: Haywyre, Andrew Bayer, Galimatias and Myon & Shane 54. Andrew is probably my biggest influence.
4. How did you first get into the scene and into producing?
SNR: I was kind of a late bloomer when it comes to music. I was finishing up my Masters at CMU in Pittsburgh when I first discovered electronic music. I used to DJ at a bunch of college parties out there, and then soon afterwards I started dabbling in production by deconstructing my favorite tracks by ear.
5. What production software do you use and how did you decide on it?
SNR: I’ve messed around with most of the DAWs out there, but the one that I found matches my creative process the best is Ableton Live. I’m able to get my ideas out really quickly in Live, and then I usually export everything into Pro Tools for mixdown + mastering.
6. What advice would you give to aspiring producers?
SNR: Don’t be afraid to take the road less travelled. Chances are you’ll find something super unique that you can call your own, and then share it with the world.
7. What are your next steps in your producing/DJing career?
SNR: I’m taking my music to the next level in 2015 and releasing lots of vocal works on some prominent labels. We’re also taking our Adrenalin Room shows to the next level with some HUGE shows planned.
8. If you could choose any artist to collaborate with who would it be?
SNR: I’d love to work on something with Mat Zo.
9. What has been your favorite performance and why?
SNR: I played at a show in Fresno earlier this year called Emerald Dream. I’ve never felt so much love in a room before. Check out the footage from my Google Glass here: http://youtu.be/THD73ypgJKI
10. What are your other hobbies aside from producing/DJing?
SNR: I’m a technology enthusiast and I love tinkering with any and all gadgets I can get my hands on.
11. What's the most memorable thing that's happened at a live show of yours or one that you've attended?
SNR: One time while I was playing at Slide in San Francisco, Andy Moor snuck up behind me and put me on his shoulders. Super random.
Thanks SNR, looking forward to hearing what's in store for 2015!